I
haven´t written in several weeks because I haven´t been inspired to do so.
I made a pact with myself that each week I would go to a new place or do a new
thing; whether it be a restaurant, an event or even a new block in Copiapó that
I had never been to before. And honestly, I´ve been able to uphold that
pact; however, the downward slope of culture shock reared it´s ugly head again,
or maybe it never even left; and I´ve been in its grip for the past few weeks.
I
thought that since I was able to settle in relatively easily during my first
month, I had been able to accelerate the whole downward slope part of my
culture shock to Copiapó. I couldn´t have been more wrong. I
realize now that because I had been looking forward to certain events and
visitors at work (and my job is seriously the best part about living in Copiapó
- and the mountains and weather too!); I was able to maintain a positive
attitude of hopefulness and newness. Once those events passed, and the
visitors came and went, the sparkle of being here definitely began to fade.
I
recently and unexpectedly had the chance to go home for a few days for the
Graduate School gradation of my younger sister (bien hecho Saberhagen!). Being home was exhilarating. And absence absolutely does make the heart
grow fonder. It was difficult to say good-bye to my loved-ones
all over again, especially because I knew exactly the kind of life I was
returning to in Copiapó. However, after I stepped-foot back into my house
after a relatively smooth 18 hour trek, I surprisingly felt a sense of
familiarity and contentedness. It was actually good to be back! Who
knew??!!
It looks
like a dose of a quick visit home and lots of hugs from your favorite people
can help remedy a case of the culture shock blues. While at home, I had
dinner with a friend, and I was telling her about my ¨life¨ here in Copiapó,
its highs and lows; and she asked me if I would do it all over again...and
indeed I would.
Blessings y Besos,
Jeder

Heather
ReplyDeleteYou are having such a great experience because you are taking care to learn as you go and you do expect there to be "rocky points" along the way. Sorry I didnt get to see you when you were in town. Which number do I use to text or call you?
Luv Aunty