Monday, April 9, 2012

Barefoot At Work…only at my desk…


The best part so far (besides Jumbo) about being here is meeting my team, the department of Community Affairs at the Candelaria Mine.  They have welcomed me with such warmth, and so have other employees.  After a week here, I already feel as if I am a part of the team.  My jefe here is funny, he has already included me in other projects and makes sure to speak slowly so that I follow what he’s saying (sidebar: Chilean Spanish is no joke, the accent combined with the speed in which Chileans speak, combined with their penchant for having their own vocab aka “Chilenismos”  ("How to Survive in the Chilean Jungle" .... an actual book that exists that translates Chilean words and sayings to English) makes it SUPER difficult for my Central American/Caribbean Spanish accustomed ears to understand).  

And my “teammates” are super inclusive as well as patient with me, especially when my Spanish is not flowing, which right now, is most of the time!  One of my teammates even invited me to her beach home in Bahia Inglesa (pics forthcoming) for a day trip.  Que guay!  But best of all, everyone in this department cares about the community and how the mine can make a positive impact, and give back; not just take.  We work hard, umm surprise of the month, a 10 hour work day, 730a to 530p (cue the cartoon surprise noise)!! As a totally and completely non-morning person, this has proven to be an uphill battle.  I truly enjoyed my first week at work, and that’s never happened to me before. 

I am so happy to be here, yes I know, I’m falling right along with the culture shock graph, but it’s still true.  I’m where I’m supposed to be, at the time I’m supposed to be there.  I believe in this project, and I’m grateful to be working (period!), but also working with what seem to be really good people, who have been watching out for me and have been concerned about my wellbeing since before I arrived.

Blessings y Besos,
Jeder

No comments:

Post a Comment